Friday 9 September 2011

Graduate traineeships, Masters Degrees and Chartership

So this is thing 10...
Many moons ago I was a Graduate trainee in UCD, and had the lovely job of preparing journals records for migration from blcmp to talis, augmented by temporary binding of serials, and eventually creation of order records for acquisitions. While I learnt a lot and got experience that I would never have received if I was working on a public service counter, I don't think that I will ever recover from the technical delight that was pegasus mail...

Subsequent to my qualifiation as a librarian I have also completed the Associateship of the Library Association of Ireland. This can be considered similar to chartership in the UK. It was a long enough process and quite a detailed process, btu worth it in the end.

And now I am hopefully at the end stage of writing my disseration for my Masters... If I could just get myself to sit down and finish it :)

I suppose this shows that I am trying to develop myself and my career, but I don't really think about it consciously at all, it just happens - ahhh the beauty of synergy...

I am an accidental librarian, in that I never pined to be a librarian, nor did I have a devastating need to do so. I ended up in the professional by process of elimination more than anything else. I am now a long serving member of the library staff, in the role of systems librarian, and I will probably continue in this role for the forseeable future. HOwever this may change with the inclusion of our institute in the alliance to create the Technological University of Dublin, all I can say is watch this space...



No comments: