Friday 9 September 2011

Mentoring

I have been lucky in my career to have had two very good informal mentors. I just don't feel comfortable approaching people to do this formally - must be part of my Irish psyche. The first mentor I had was before I qualified and they encouraged me to do so and gave very sound advice about courses to take, and first steps into professional life including applying for the ALAI. This relationship has continued over the years, with encouragement to write for professional journals being the latest step along this road. My second mentor has come to light as a result of being employed professionally. they have encouraged me to develop my technical skills, present at conference and seminars, participate in the LAI, and again to write professionally.

I have to confess that without the influence of both of these mentors I would not have achieved half of what I have so far.

I'm not sure if I could fill that role myself, but then again I have never tried so I couldn't say for sure.

No comments: