|9:45-10:00||HEAnet Introduction||Brian Boyle|
|10:00-10:15||Contracts Management / Procurement||Garvan McFeeley|
|10:30-10:40||Security scanning/auditing & Certificates||Glenn Wearen|
|10:55-11:05||Datacenter hosting||Orla McGann|
|11:05-11:20||Web-hosting & Moodle hosting||Robert Gallagher|
|11:40-11:50||Ciera (cloud platform)||Robert Hackett|
|12:05-12:15||Listserv, DNS registration||Brian Boyle|
|12:15-12:30||Service Development Process / Proposals||Brian Boyle|
|12:30||Q&A / Close|
- Reminder to join the HEA Net lists - not just the library related ones.
- Reminder that the change to IPv6 will necessitate a change in how users are authenticated to subscription resources, and that EDU Gate can help fill the gap.
- The option to enable shibboleth by default was outlined, but that the library as customer must request set up with the publisher.
- Validation can be against several databases of users.
- IP recognition remains the default long in mechanism on campus.
- HEA Net will request IREL resources be shibboleth enabled for the libraries.
- EDU Storage, is a self-service / self managed portal, with single identity log on, which can be configured locally.
- Hosted Moodle services use this as their storage
- Miscellaneous security services are offered, such as: Computer Emergency Response Team, Vulnerability Scanning, Security Auditing, Advice if going out to tender, SPAM management, SSL certification, eScience - grid computing certificates.
- Hosting is available via the datacentres, monitored. with UPS, cooling and KVM services.
- This can include LAN extensions over layer 2, p2p circuits, with local IP run over it.
- Web hosting: low cost hosting for low traffic sites is available. Costings scale to the amount of sotrage and databases needed, but start from <€100.
- Low traffic = 20-30 hits per minute (PLESK admin)
- High traffic = 200-300 hits per minute
- May require upgrading to enterprise web hosting at this level.
- Multimedia services include video streaming and conferencing (National Gate Keeper). and file sender.
- V-Scene (via JANET), dials out to those scheduled to attend video conferencing.
- Quality assurance checks are required once you register your unit.
- Vidyo: desktop video conference.
- This is the back end used to deliver Google Hangouts.
- Each institution gets it's own portal once they sign up to use the service.
- It can be accessed via client download.
- Invites can be issued via e-mail and guest access granted.
- Mobile device compatible.
- Can take part from users desk.
- Video streaming is supported via the web host media.heanet.ie, with no limit on the number of files, or their size. The system will convert video and provide an embed code.
- This service is not publicly indexed.
- Access can be restricted. (ie EduGate authentication)
- Mobile friendly service.
- This service can be used to create podcasts.
- Content can be added to iTunes U over SSL encryption and followed by subscription.
- Live streaming is supported. Events can be created and then embedded in a website.
- The Oireachtas live service is streamed this way
- Other options are student radio stations and live conferring ceremonies.
- Ciera = result of the Cloud services Strategy. Pay by use instead of having to invest in physical architecture. Cloud is seen as a central future direction.
- HEA Net will broker > Multicloud portal built on dell cloud manager
- Community cloud, private cloud, public cloud (Amazon, Azure etc.)
- HEA net can broker.
- Ciera is built on an (Dell Cloud Manager) IaaS network. (Proof of Concept stage to establish need (ie Virtual Private Cloud, etc.)
- Two aspects to this
- IaaS Community cloud.
- There is only one interface to the Ciera cloud
- Public/VM Ware/Private.
- Locally cocontrolledccess permissions.
- Local standard image for a pc can be created and deployed from the cloud
- Virtual machine on demand - if you will.
- No extra cost for storage, IP addresses and network connectivity, which are additional charges on the public cloud.
- File sender can be used to share very large files, up to 100 GB. Federated access is a given, but guest access can be arranged via e-mail invite (voucher system).
- You set the expiry date by which the files should be downloaded.
- Your browser must support html 5 to avail of this service.
- Listserv / Mailing list:
- Mailing lists can be moderated, public, private, and have rss feeds (public lists)
- Listserv platform still has no better alternative as it still has a rich feature set.
- There is an API for automatic management
- A list should have 2 owners, be relevant to higher education and be work relevant.
- Owners are not subscribers/
- Eduroam: community wide WiFi access, anywhere in the world that is part of the network, leverages federated access, via a globally unique ID.
- Users can be held accountable for their usage as they are identifiable.
- An SSL channel is used to validate against the local user database.
- To be part of the network a site has to conform to a minimum standard for WiFi and encryption strength.
- Users devices need to be configured to Eduroam before roaming.
- A Mobile access configuation tool for EduRoam is available at cat.eduroam.org.
- Includes self-install
- A device should only have to be configured once.
- Eduroam.org lists locations where the service is available.
- Service providers' local WiFi most be compatible with the EduRoam network, have a Radius Server and an EduRoam information page that contain information about possible blocks etc. (ie no gmail ).
- EduRoam depends on the local exisiting WiFi infrastructure/s.
- DNS registration service.
- c€20 per annum
- Set it up at the start of your project, remembering that DNS are on a first come first served basis.
- HEA Net Hosting includes DNS Registry.
- Service Change Management
- The information services department can help format proposals
- It can take 1 month to write a proposal, and a further month to complete submission.
- Subsequent to moving to the procurement phase, help can be received when preparing and evaluating tenders.
- There is a services steering group
- A new role has been introduced > Client collaboration and delivery manager.
- Dedicated to requirements gathering.
- An Chéím, will become part of a subsidary company > EduCampus.